Tuesday, February 12, 2008

They Deserved It

Preston is a fan of reality TV. His favorites are American Gladiator, America's Funniest Home Videos and Extreme Makeover Home Edition. He wants to be a Gladiator when he grows up, which is great because when he asks for an unhealthy snack, I can tell him, "Gladiators eat apples!" It works, for now at least!

Preston loves the big reveal on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. He's finally learned that these kids aren't "lucky" to get that awesome Star Wars room. They, in fact, will spend more time in a hospital bed than in the X-Wing fighter bed that Ty Pennington constructed with his bare hands. That was a hard lesson to learn. You see, our kids are spoiled. All of the kids around us are spoiled. My friend's kids are spoiled. I was spoiled growing up. I didn't get everything I wanted, and my kids don't get everything they want. But in comparison to the kids on EMHE, what makes our kids spoiled is the fact that they have a bed. Or their own room. Heat, water...basic needs covered. Lord willing, my kids will never have to wonder what's for dinner or if the blankets will keep them warm. I thank God every day for that.

Sunday night EMHE was on until 9pm, way past P-Diddy's bedtime. So we set the DVR to record the end so he could see the big reveal and the cool rooms. So yesterday after school, he got his snack and sat down to watch the big reveal. If you didn't catch Sunday's episode, it was about a man named Daniel, a Marine. He served in Desert Storm and felt led to re-up to served in Iraq this time around. (There's another post there about military personnel and their feelings on the war in Iraq, but I'll stay on track here.) He lost his leg in Iraq. He almost lost his life. But he fought hard and recovered...came home to his 4 kids and wife. He had a long road of rehabilitation. His wife became "overwhelmed" and left him with the 4 kids. He's now a single dad, 4 kids, 1 leg. This is one brave man. They lived in a split level shack where his kids shared a room. Yes, all 4 - boys and girls - sharing 1 room.

Ty and his crew came in to save the day, giving him a 1-story home that's safe and where the kids can finally be kids - run around and have their own space. Preston watched as each kid got their own room. Then Daniel (the dad) was shown his room. He was full of emotion throughout the entire the entire episode. Dude has every right - 1 leg, single dad - not to mention the tramas of war. This show was full of military pride and many of Daniel's Marine brothers were there for the big reveal. After it was all over, Preston came into my office with little tears in his eyes. He said, "that man, Daniel...he deserves that room. He deserves that house for everything he's done to protect us." Gulp. Then he gave me a big hug. It was seriously the sweetest thing I had ever heard. I just pray he remembers that feeling. I pray that I can help him remember other people's needs and that we are very blessed. I just love to see how his little heart is shaping.

2 comments:

Steve Bezner said...

We watched that episode, Amy, and I was tearing up. Preston is absolutely right.

Honeyed Hashette said...

Could you please place a warning at the beginning of posts like this, so I know I am going to cry when I read it? I have a rudolph nose and teary eyes.

THAT BOY IS SO SWEET and SO RIGHT!
What a good lesson to learn on his own.

I pray he continues to remember that feeling too.

Thanks for the great post! Tell Preston Miss Janda LOVES him (and Bergen too)!