Wednesday, December 14, 2011

RACK'd - December 14th Edition

Man, it is a nasty day outside.  It's 64 degrees and rainy.  Not really rainy, more heavy drizzle.  Drizzle is *the* worst.   I despise the drizzle!  It gets your glasses all drizzly and ruins my hair way faster than real rain.  Just nasty.  But, it's winter in Texas, so get use to it!  And we do need any type of moisture desperately.

I just made one more trip to Hobby Lobby.  I hope it was my last.  Whew.  I've learned a few things about Hobby Lobby.  I should always just get the hand basket instead of the push cart because there is less room and therefore I buy less.  When will I learn?  I am hosting Bergen's Christmas party at his preschool next week and needed an ornament idea.  I love their cutie ceramic ornaments - fifty cents each - and then glue their little faces on them.  Such a keepsake.  Parents want an ornament with their little faces on it to keep.  Please don't send home a foam ornament.  Yuck.  Last year I got adorable snow men and had them paint their hats black, then glue on some buttons and I drew a face.  They were cute, but I have such severe control issues when it comes to crafts that I found myself getting edgy when the paint went over the neatly drawn hat line, or the buttons ended up on the snowman face.  I know, this is bad.  They are four - let it go.  So this year I'm doing angels, and I'm spray painting them in advance a sparkly blue.  Then we'll glue their little faces on the angel head, and I got lots of colored sparkle sequins and I'll let them go hog wild.  Turn a blind eye to the mayhem.  Ha - we'll see.

When I went to check out there were 2 lines open, so I chose one and began to wait.  I had no idea I was in the return or buy line and how long it would take.  Other lines opened up, but I was not really in a position to get out of my line, so I just waited and read my email.  A gal came back in to complain that she had paid too much for her Christmas candy - "It said 50% off".  Candy is never marked down.  I don't know how much candy she had in there, but she decided to return it, and gets in line behind me and another guy.  She asked 3 times if she had to stand in line to return the candy.  Then when she saw my basket load of frames and ceramic ornaments, she really started to fidget!  Hobby Lobby will wrap up every last bit of your breakables.  And this cashier, bless her heart, was so slow.  I could feel the laser eyes in the back of my head.  Like bad.  I'm pretty sure she killed me three times in her head.  It's kind of fun to cause irritation to Scrooges at Christmas. 

As I was leaving, I decided to RACK* the Salvation Army bell guy.  We've been trying to RACK the one at the grocery store for 2 weeks, but every time we drive by, he's on break.  Finally I found one and went for it.  But what to get him?  It's not really cold out, it's really rather warm.  So no hot chocolate.  And what if he's diabetic?  Or lactose intolerant?  Would he like a coke?  Diet coke?  Is he sensitive to caffeine?   I tend to over-think things.

I ran through the McD's drive through and ordered a large unsweet tea.  And let me tell you, I had conflicting feelings the entire time.  Doubts.  I think when you are trying so hard to listen to the Holy Spirit, your thoughts (Satan's plant), can throw doubts.  I fought through it and got the large iced tea and 2 packs of sugar and sweetener.  I drove back to the Hobby Lobby and gave it to him, saying "Merry Christmas!"  He was very thankful, and I'm sure was wondering if I was going to ask him for his number.  

This was by far the hardest RACK for me.  I had to face to face with the recipient.  And I know I've said before that I crave the hug.  The pat on the back.  But when placed face to face with a stranger, I really get nervous and shy.  But that nervous feeling is good.  It's the Holy Spirit telling me to either "go for it this is good!" or "back out and don't do this, it's not right".

I really wanted a picture of him with his drink, but I thought that might be odd to ask.  Sometimes it's best to just retain a memory.  I want the kids to experience this as well.  And I really hope he likes iced tea.

Have a wonderful day, y'all!  11 days until Christmas!

*DISCLAIMER - You really have to know that a tiny piece of the joy in this project is saying RACK.  I RACKed the Salvation Army guy.  Really?  That's comedy to me.  So mature...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sorry to say that I didn't hear about RACKing this year. I'll have to remember it next year. Love it!