Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Days of Thanksgiving - Day 2

I hope my blog doesn't explode when I post something two days in a row...  Poor neglected blog.

Before I get into day 2, I have to share - last night at dinner, in the quaint, heavy metal blaring environment of Freebirds, I told my family that we would be sharing something we are thankful for every night at dinner.  I told them it didn't have to be fancy or perfect, just something they think is awesome and that they are thankful for.  P went first and said he was thankful for his baseball coach, who takes time out of his day to coach their team.  Man - sweet kid.  I think he gets how parents are busy and pulled in 100 directions.  Pretty cool.  Biggie B was thankful for...now give me a minute because this one almost made me cry.  He's thankful for P-Did, because he's the best big brother in the whole wide world.  I'm not making this stuff up.  I almost died right there.  TV Joe was thankful for Freebirds, and the Ramones, who happen to be on the (loud) radio during this tender moment.


Day two - I'm so thankful for my parents and the home we were raised in.  My dad sold insurance while we were in school.  He had a local office and was home at lunch and dinner, and attended every event under the sun for my brother and me.  Having a husband who commutes and is in the car *a lot*, I now know how awesome this was.  Joe is at every event, and we eat pretty much every dinner together, no matter how late - but it's stressful beating traffic home and dealing with all that.  My mom stayed home with us.  It was nice to be able to come home to her and have a snack waiting and help with homework.  She's a strong, strong lady - stronger than she thinks.  She always made things feel super normal, even when it was hard for her.  When things are a little out of control around here and I'm feeling anxious or overwhelmed, I think about how she dealt with struggles and lean on what I've learned from her.  She's had some difficulties in the last 3 years and I'm so thankful that she's healthy and recovering.  We had a great childhood - one that I treasure.  We were at church every time the doors were open, and I'm certain that shaped who I am today.  They are Godly parents who prayed for us and with us and kept me on the "straight and narrow".  We had everything we needed, most everything we wanted, and lots of love to go around.  I'm thankful for the example they have set for me in parenting and in marriage, and for the legacy they started that I can carry on.

1 comment:

Sheri S. said...

Amy~ You always have had a way of being very authentic and I love to see that in your writing. It's so cool that you are sharing all of your treasures, past and present, that God has given you. Love ya!
~Sheri S.