Friday, April 15, 2011

What's in my Kindle

I've never participated in Show Us Your Life over on Kelly's Korner, but I love to read, so I thought this is a great day to jump in.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's amazingly light and clear - it looks just like a page of a book. And it's perfect for reading in sunlight - I can't wait to take it to the beach!!

What I've recently read:The Help by Kathryn Stockett - pretty much my favorite novel of all time right now. I love this book so much and I can't wait for the movie. It's a southern novel with a lot of humor and some soul searching, change the world characters. Highly recommend!

Little Bee by Chris Cleave - I read this for my new book club. It was a tough read. It's not light and humorous (like me). It's very deep and dark and hard to read. Now that I'm through it, I'm glad I read it. But I'm not really recommending it. It's about a Nigerian refugee who has very bad things happen to her, and to the family she runs to after being released from a detention center. Nothing happy about this book.

Black Heels to Wagon Wheels by Ree Drummond - I'm a fan of the Pioneer Woman's blog and cookbook, and this is a hot love story between she and her husband. It's a sweet read and I love good memoir.


All I Can Handle - I'm No Mother Teresa by Kim Stagliano - Kim is a friend of mine. I have worked with her husband off and on for a decade. He's a mentor of mine - I adore these people. Mark and Kim have 3 girls on the autism spectrum and this is her memoir detailing their life through several job losses, moves, financial problems and learning how to care for their girls. Kim is a Warrior Mom and a powerful voice in the autism community. This is obviously a great book for families affected by autism, but also for everyone! With 1 in 50 kids being diagnosed on the spectrum, odds are we are affected or know someone affected. Highly recommend!

What I'm Reading Now:
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman - such as sweet southern novel. I'm only 60% done, but I'm in love with this book. I'm reading it for book club, and it was a nice switch from Little Bee! I love every character.

What's Coming Next:


Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - Got to get this read before the movie comes out!


The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred - more southern humor!

Happy Reading Y'all!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yay for books! Can I join your book club when I come home?

I am so happy you read "The Help". Law, that book is wonderful. I also read "Little Bee" and it is tough, but I think about her. One of those that stays with you. Wasn't that boyfriend a scumbag? "Water for Elephants" is good and the movie looks very well done. Although I won't get to see it. I am going to get PW's book when I am home. Starting my list now...

Have I told you how happy I am you are posting? :)

Erin Branscom said...

Love your list! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

I love your blog! I am following you!

K. Law said...

I'm just catching up on blogs. I love this post because I am looking for good books to read. Can't wait to pick a couple of these up. Thanks!